Thursday, July 9, 2009

Light at the end of the tunnel...

Finally, I think we're getting our house next week. The saleslady called me yesterday to tell me that. She also gave me some bad news. We have to fork over $1600 for a survey. The finance company had said even yesterday morning that everything was fine, and we were set to close. But I guess yesterday afternoon they changed their minds.
Damn it.
It may not be that much, but our property is pretty oddly shaped, with a lot of corners, so I'm erring on the high side. I told the saleslady to let the surveyor know to come to the house, and he could use a bike to get around if he needed to. With all the rain we've had, trees and bushes are out of control. I can't imagine him hiking the entire 104 acres.
While I've been waiting, I've been packing. Kind of. As of Monday, the house wasn't coming in till the last week of July. So I slowed down on the packing. I've been having to open boxes up for things I've needed already, so I thought, Why pack until the time is closer? Then she calls me yesterday and tells me the dozer will be here Monday or Tuesday.
(Insert scream here!)
Now I'm running around like a mad woman trying to get things done. I have fence to build to section off the horses, concrete block to pound, three trees to cut down, plus all the packing left inside the house. I thought I was ahead of the game, but I'm slowly slipping behind.
So, if you don't hear from me for a while (or I should say, a longer while), you know why.
Uh oh, I guess I need to call Hughes net too, huh, to get my satelite moved.

Wednesday, July 1, 2009


I love this picture I took the other day. We had five miles of crap rolling through, then suddenly there was this break in the clouds. It only lasted a few minutes, then more storms took over.

I'll show you another pretty picture in a minute.

We're, I'm, still packing. The house is in Mt. Sterling right now, and I've chewed my nails off waiting for it to arrive. For three years, hubby and I have been debating whether to build a new house on the property we have, get a double wide or move completely. This has been a constant source of contention for us. Not enough to fight over, but we've definitely had a lot of strong debates over the issue.

Hubby wanted to build, of course, and honestly, I kind of did too. More of me dreaded it though. Since he's out of town 90% of the time, damn near the entire building process would fall on my shoulders. Now, I am a very intelligent, strong woman, but I did not feel confident enough to try to do this on my own.

Our debating has drawn out 3 years now, and nothing has changed. Well, it hadn't changed.

Last month we were heading to town to get gasoline for the tractors and some lunch, then groceries. We stopped at a new modular place and looked around, and found a couple we liked. We signed a couple papers, and well, needless to say, that's the most expensive gasoline we ever bought. I think we were kind of frustrated with the whole process of trying to decide what to do and just said 'hell with it'. At the time, too, Hubby was heading to Canada for 6 months, and then to Japan for a year. The kids are growing up, getting bigger, and we needed more space desperately. Also too, we went the easy route because Hubby thinks we're probably going to move in the next three years anyway, closer to Cincinnati for his job.

The house that we bought is big. 2500 square feet, 4 bedrooms, 2 huge baths, office, living room, den, and beautiful kitchen. Hubby was happy with the way it's built, and I'm happy with the things inside.

I already love my kitchen. I have not had a decent, usable kitchen for literally about 8 years. The one I have now is too small, with about 4 total feet of counter space. The last house we lived in was huge (6 bedroom 4 bath) but even it didn't have a decent kitchen in it. It had 2 half kitchens on two separate floors on opposite sides of the house. I know, you're wondering where the heck has this woman lived?

I know people will probably smirk at what we did, but I'm not worried about it. We're comfortable with our decision, and I think we will love living in the house. My kids will be able to grow.

And I'll be able to cook.