Thursday, August 12, 2010

Hmmm, This could be something dirty...


But it's not.
I had a wonderful little hen sitting on a nest of babies for a while, and she only hatched out three before she left the nest to lead the chicks around and teach them chicky things. Well, the other day, a hawk snatched my good hen, leaving the babies orphans. I thought another hen was going to adopt them, but it didn't happen. Somehow two of the chicks have disappeared. Maybe they got snatched too. But one is still alive. Flourishing, actually. Because it has finally been adopted.

By a rooster.

It's the funniest looking thing. This great big cock, with two-inch spurs on his legs, leading this little tiny chick around. And it's not a regular chick, but a banty chick as well, so really tiny. The rooster leads the baby around, and cheeps at him when he finds food. I think the rooster feels like he has a flock now, even though it's only one bird. The rooster is a lesser rooster, and has never had birds of his own. I looked out earlier today, and the rooster was sitting on the doorjamb of the chicken coop, and chicken little was sitting on top of the rooster.
My husband says the rooster is robbing the cradle, but I'm trying to give him the benefit of the doubt. Maybe he's just stepping up to be daddy...




Thought I'd show you my new kittens, too. One, Whiskers, is smart and ornery and very cat-like. Takes care of herself. Knows when to get out of a thunderstorm. The other is, well, intellectually challenged, let's say. But she's very sweet. My daughter told me that even when she dropped Skittles in the pool, she still purred.
Can you tell which one is Skittles? I'll give you a hint. She doesn't know when to get in out of a thunderstorm. (She's the bedraggled one on the left.)

No comments:

Post a Comment