Thursday, February 26, 2009

This and That...


Not much has been happening on my hill recently. Still working on the cut on Buck's neck, but it's hardening up nicely. We have baby bunnies, but I can't tell how many. I just see moving hair in the nest. They probably won't live, so I'm trying not to get too attached. The last batch died. I think Eva didn't know exactly what to do with them.

Poor old Annie, the dog we've had since before my son was born, is fading away. She's been having bladder problems, and she's gone pretty much blind. I don't think she's in pain, or I would be at the vet's today having her put down. She just wanders the yard looking for warm sunlight to lay in, and waits for me to slip her treats. I may have accidently dropped a few eggs her way. And maybe a can of cat food. And a pound of hamburger. You never know when her last meal will be, so I tend to go overboard. I tried to explain to the kids that she wasn't doing very good, and they got upset for a minute. Then my daughter asked if we could get another dog. She's five. She doesn't understand about death yet.

I for one know I will miss her. My eyes are tearing up now as I write this, so I assume I'm going to be a blubbering mess when she finally goes. My husband will cry because I cry, to be supportive, and because he will miss her too. I think it would be easier if she had been a pain in the ass, but she has been an excellent dog. Just a mutt, her dad was black lab and her mom Samoyed mix. I've watched her protect the kids, and break in more puppies than I can tell you. She's run hundreds of miles following us on the bikes. Other than bringing home the neighbors dogfood cans, she can do no wrong. I'm really going to miss her.

Well, I guess I did find something to write about.

Writing has been clicking along at a good rate. I love having the house to myself during the day. I think I'm averaging 1500-2k a day, which is good for me. I'm really making myself sit down and pound every day. Trying to build up some discipline. Maybe I can have this ms done in the next month? Mmmmm, we'll see.

Wish me luck!

3 comments:

  1. Oh, Jennifer. I teared up while reading your post. Our animals really are family, aren't they. I was in your shoes back in October with my good old dog. He was fifteen, thought I hung the moon, but he just started going downhill fast. Then one morning I got up and he was gone. {{Hugs}} to you today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry Annie is fading. What a sweet face she has. I don't know what else to say... I hope she won't suffer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the sentiments Ladies. It's hard, but I can't imagine not having my animals. And Annie was the original. She was the first animal we got when we got married, and she's really set the bar high.
    I know it's coming, I'm just not quite ready.

    ReplyDelete