Thursday, January 1, 2009

A relaxing day at home-NOT

So, as the first day of 2009, today should have been nice and quiet. No school, no work, no requirements. My husband comes in the room and says he'll take the kids down to cut firewood while I get some writing time in. Thank you honey! I'm pounding away when my 8 y.o. son comes in the door. "Uh, Mom, Dad needs your help. He rolled the bike and hurt his leg." Ok, I've gotten notices like this before, so I didn't freak out too bad. At least not until I'm walking out the driveway to get the second 4-wheeler. "Is the bike still on Daddy?" I ask my son. He nods his head and I take off running. Of course, my bike does not want to start at all. It's been a while since it's been out, so it's a little cranky. And also of course, 3 of the 4 tires are almost completely flat. Prescious seconds are wasted as I air up the tires. "Ok," I ask my son, " where's Daddy?" He scrunches up his face. "Over on the hill I can't get up on my bike." We have 100 acres, and that could be five hundred different places. "OK, get on and you can show me."
Racing down past the barn, I'm following this little pointing finger to the right. Finally, I see my husband, lying with his head downhill, on his side, with a 600 lb. Honda Foreman pinning his left leg to the ground. I race down as quickly as I dare and hop off my bike. The adrenaline really kicked in as I saw how trapped he really was. I rocked the bike up the hill several times before hubby was finally able to pull his leg out. He laid on the ground for several minutes, and finally wiggled his foot. Thank God his leg wasn't broken. The rim of the bike was resting on his ankle bone and just under his knee. He now has several interesting bruises, and the tendons in his knee are strained, but he will be fine.
So much for a relaxing day.
Needless to say, I did not get much writing done today. It didn't help that we got back to the house, ate some lunch then fell asleep for a couple hours. My schedule is so screwed up since everybody is home. Tomorrow will be no better. Grocery day.
Night. May not be back for a while. Family obligations in Ohio.

No comments:

Post a Comment