Friday, January 23, 2009

Whoopin' it up


I had to laugh at a friend the today. She is older than me by about twenty years, and she made reference to 'Whoopin' it up'. Huh? As an ex-cop, believe me, I can tell you some stories that would make anybody blush, and I thought I had heard every colloquialism, slang term, everything there was to hear in reference to sex. But that one surprised me, and I had to laugh.

It seemed to be kind of a sex day. I was surfing at http://www.kaystockham.com/blog/, and her subject was love scenes, or lack thereof. Personally, I find love scenes easier to do than setting up a plot. How sad is that?

Anyway, she was talking about a good book she had read that totally fell flat at the love scenes. And I have noticed that some authors really do seem to struggle with these. I am no expert, by any means, but I do know what reads well and flows nicely. I have to wonder, though, if her inability to write love scenes has to do with her own inexperience. Or maybe she just has a natural reserve that won't allow her to enjoy what she's writing. I honestly do think that you have to like what you are writing for it to be sincere and believable. I think the more passionate (no pun) you are about the subject matter, the better the writing will be. Am I off track? Hmmm...

No comments:

Post a Comment